Skip to content

5 Signs Of Mold

  • by

Mold is simply a kind of living organism that grows in damp surroundings. It is a type of fungus that can grow in your house or your office. There are many types of molds that can show up in different textures and colors. When mold appears in your house, there are spores in the surrounding air. Keep in mind that mold spores are always present inside your house, regardless of whether you have mold or not. These cannot be avoided.

Mold grows in environments that have high humidity or that are always moist. This means that if you leave an area damp for a long period of time, you will notice that mold starts to show up there. It doesn’t matter what kind of surface it is. Like we mentioned before, mold can grow on glass, paper, plastic, fabric, and even wood. As mold grows, it completely destroys whatever material it is growing on.

Your Heating Or Air Conditioning Smells Funky

A subtle sign that you have mold in your house is when you smell something nasty from your heating system or air conditioning.

You would be surprised to know, but it is no secret that standalone air conditioning units are more vulnerable to the growth of mold. The reasons are obvious- mold grows in dark and damp places, and when not in constant use, is exposed to warm temperatures.

For example, if you put your air conditioner or heating system in a basement or closet during the winter months, it is highly likely to develop mold.

To ensure that mold is not growing on your cooling or heating systems, make sure to get them examined by an HVAC specialist.

The Grout Underneath Your Shower Tiles Is Relatively Dark

Do you think that the ground beneath your shower tiles is getting dark? Well, it is probably mold that is changing its color. However, this kind of mold is usually harmless.

However, if your bathroom plumbing is leaking or the room next door has recently flooded, you may be dealing with a fungus that is more toxic. This kind of mold should only be handled by experts or professionals. All you have to do is take a sample and send it to get tested. This will help you understand whether your shower is safe.

The Wallpaper In Your House Is Peeling

As your house grows older, you are bound to notice some scruffiness and discoloration. However, if you find that your wallpaper is peeling or there are some abnormalities on the surface, such as cracking or bubbling, you may have a problem.

This peeling is an indicator that moisture is present in your house walls. We all know that moisture only leads to the development of mold.

The best thing you can do is pay attention to the walls in your house and take note of any area that feels wet or looks warped.

Your Cold Isn’t Going Away.

The human body can develop allergies extremely fast. If you find that you have a runny nose and keep getting sneezing fits very occasionally, you may be allergic to something in your house. A high likelihood could be that you have a mold reaction. This is fairly common as mold causes perpetual allergies.

If you are suspicious, it is time to pay more attention to your surroundings. Notice if your symptoms flare after you stay in one room for too long or if you start sneezing hysterically after you have been in the basement for too long.

Moreover, if you feel okay when you leave the house for work or errands but start to feel sick once you enter your house, you have a mold problem that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

There Are Colored Spots On The Walls

Mold can be tricky to spot because it can show up in a number of colors, shapes, and textures. You may find disgusting-looking mold in the form of dripping, the neon green slime that you can spot from miles away, or some weird-looking grey-colored fuzz that looks harmless at first sight.

However, these unusual things are what you need to keep an eye out for. If you find that there are spots on your walls that cannot be explained easily, it is best to check all the pipes in the room to ensure that none of them are leaking. Moreover, you must ensure that the room is not too humid. Remember, intense humidity increases the chances of mold development in your home.


As long as you are aware of the signs of mold and know how dangerous it is, you can deal with it. However, it is important that you stay safe because some kinds of mold can be dangerous. If you find mold in your house, get in touch with a professional as soon as possible.

Mold remediation specialists will be able to identify as well as deal with the mold in your house. They will test all the surfaces in your home and take samples to identify their kind. Moreover, they will be able to tell you whether the mold is toxic or dangerous. Once all the technicalities are dealt with, your team of professionals will get rid of the mold in your house.